After extensive research and consultation the
BYO (Bring Your Own) iPad program is offered to all students in Year 7, 8 and 9 as of 2017.
We believe that technology, and iPads in particular in the junior grades, have the potential to greatly increase the learning capacity of students. In particular, give students:
- Access to knowledge and information through a range of content and apps to support student learning.
- Access to media including digital stories, images and videos
- Increased productivity due to quicker loading times compared to PC’s
- The iPads operating system is reliable and works well within the EQ environment.
- High Engagement factor.
- Ability to personalise learning and provide targeted work to individuals.
It is an expectation that all students in Year 7, 8 and 9 will have their iPad ready for the beginning of the school year.
We recognise that just like uniforms, supplies, and extra-curricular activities, an iPad for students represents a significant investment for families. With this in mind we have listed specifications in the
2020 BYO iPad Handbook (PDF, 678 KB) for your information. We request that the iPad meets minimum specifications.
Monitoring and cybersafety
We expect students to take responsibility for their use and their device. Web filtering has its benefits; however these systems are not foolproof and will never block 100% of inappropriate content. If you have any concerns, please talk to your child’s teacher.
- Read more about setting parental controls, privacy, and restriction options
We strongly recommend that all personal electronic devices are insured against accidental damage, loss and theft. You can either:
- include the iPad on your home and contents insurance
- contact an insurer that offers specific student device cover products.
Our goal is for students to use iPads as a tool to support key processes in learning. Teachers use them as an environment to facilitate deeper engagement in learning and higher-order thinking. The iPad has the varied functionality that will allow students to consume and produce information in a mobile form through:
- textbooks available on the iPad in iBook format
- a wide range of classroom apps and tools
- resources that are available 24/7.